Founded in 1919, the American Legion Auxiliary is the world's largest women's patriotic service organization. With a membership at nearly 800,000, local American Legion Auxiliary Units have a strong presence in more than 9,000 communities nationwide. In the State of Maine our membership stands at just over 8,200 members with 116 Units throughout the state. The American Legion Auxiliary's mission is to support The American Legion and to honor the sacrifice of those who serve by enhancing the lives of our veterans, military and their families, both at home and abroad. For God and country, we advocate for veterans, educate our citizens, mentor youth, and promote patriotism, good citizenship, peace and security.
In fulfillment of our Mission, the American Legion Auxiliary adheres to the following purposes:
- To support and advocate for veterans, active military and their families
- To support the initiatives and programs of The American Legion
- To foster patriotism and responsible citizenship
- To awards scholarships and promote quality education and literacy
- To provide educational and leadership opportunities that uphold the ideals of freedom and democracy and encourage good citizenship and patriotism in government
- To increase our capacity to deliver our mission by providing meaningful volunteer opportunities within our communities
- To empower our membership to achieve personal fulfillment through Service Not Self
In the spirit of Service, Not Self, the mission of the American Legion Auxiliary is to support The American Legion and to honor the sacrifice of those who serve by enhancing the lives of our veterans, military, and their families, both at home and abroad. For God and Country, we advocate for veterans, educate our citizens, mentor youth, and promote patriotism, good citizenship, peace and security.
The American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Maine, IS a growing, proud, pro-active organization dedicated to advocating for and meeting the countless needs of our veterans, their families, our community, state, and nation.
AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY
A woman who is eligible for membership in The American Legion is also eligible to join the American Legion Auxiliary. The mother, wife, daughter, sister, grand-daughter, great-grand-daughter, or grandmother of members of The American Legion, and deceased veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces during the listed war eras.
- Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
- Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
- Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
- June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
- Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
- April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)
Teamwork ... Celebrating Success
"WE CAN DO IT!"
Department Membership goals:
- September 20 - 40%
- October 20 - 50%
- November 11 - 60%
- December 20 - 70%
- January 20 - 80%
- February 14 - 85%
- March 20 - 90%
- April 20 - 95%
- May 21 - 100%